Sunday, January 19, 2014

Random Journalism Post

Since I won't have any updates on WJMC until the 24, and I would feel bad for waiting so long to post anything, I suppose I'll talk about photography a little bit. I've always loved photography. Ever since I can remember, being behind the camera was what I loved. It wasn't until about fifth grade that I got really interested in it. It was that year that I learned that I have a relative that worked for National Geographic as a photographer, and later, an editor. This was the moment that I discovered just how much you can achieve when you put your mind to it.

I was in a gifted class all throughout elementary and middle school, and my last couple of years in the class, we focused on photography. We would take senior photos for people that couldn't afford to pay for them to be done professionally. This was the first time I was exposed to portrait photography. I enjoyed it a lot, and for a time, I wanted to open up my own studio when I got older.

My freshman year of high school, I signed up for journalism class. I had never taken a journalism class before, but I fell in love with it. I love interviewing people, writing articles, I even love the complete chaos the class goes through whenever we get close to our deadline. My first semester of freshman year, I was a little afraid to go out and take photos because I didn't know if I would be any good. Second semester, my teacher pushed me to go to some basketball games and take photos with my brand new camera that I had gotten for Christmas. She came with me my first game and gave me pointers on what to do, and from that point on, I have loved every second I spend on that court. This was also the point I decided that what I really want is to be a photojournalist, because while portrait and "staged" photography is fine and great, capturing people doing their normal thing in their normal lives shows so much more emotion.

I've heard some people say that journalism is a dying art, but I could not disagree more. Yes, while the physical newspaper may be going out, every part of that newspaper will be going digital. That means you still need your writers and you still need your photographers. You still need people to report the news, and therefore, I do not believe journalism will ever die. In fact, I believe journalists and journalism will stick around forever.

I apologize if any of this is poorly written, as I am extremely tired and I'm currently thinking about Sherlock making it's American premiere tomorrow night (rather later tonight, since it is technically Sunday right now) and how very excited I am for round two. Wish me luck for Friday, I can't wait to find out about the scholarship!

UPDATE: I have neglected to mention that Tuesday I will be going to my first organization to request a donation. I'm really awful at public speaking, so wish me luck with that as well!

2 comments:

  1. It went pretty well, I think! I only said "um" about three times, which is VERY good for me when I'm speaking to the public. I'll find out if they're going to donate some money to me this coming Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete